Skate wings are deceptively easy to cook and go so well with this sharp and citrus salsa. Accompany small potatoes and salad for a great meal.
- 450g skate wings (2 small or 1 large cut in half)
- 1 heaped tbsp seasoned flour
- 2 tbsp oil
For the green salsa
- 1 medium clove garlic
- Freshly milled black pepper
- ½ level tsp sea salt
- 4 anchovy filets, drained and finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp capers, drained
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp fruity olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
Crush the garlic and salt into a paste.
Stir in the other salsa ingredients to complete.
For the skate wings, heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
Clean the wings, and lightly dust them with the seasoned flour.
Gently add the wings to the hot oil, frying for around 4 minutes on each side.
You can tell when they’re cooked by piercing the flesh with a knife. If it comes away easily with cooked flesh, then it’s ready to eat.
Pour in the salsa mix to warm it up briefly, and then spoon over the skate wings to serve.